Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Silhouette Tutorial

Hi there!

I have a Silhouette tutorial today.  A little while ago I created this card....


... and I had several inquiries asking how I created the 'Jingle' piece, and if it was a metal die.  It was created with my Silhouette Cameo, and today I thought I would share how to make it.

 I always like to design my entire project in my Silhouette software, even the parts I will not be using the Silhouette to cut.  It helps me see what the finished project will look like and if the sizing is appropriate.    So I started this project by creating a card base that measures 4.25" x 5.5", sitting in a portrait orientation.  Now I know that my card base in actuality will need to measure 4.25" x 11" to account for the fold, but at this point I am planning to make my card base with my paper trimmer and not the Silhouette.

 Then I set to work creating my 'Jingle" piece.  First up I decided that I wanted to work with all uppercase letters, then I typed out the word and applied colour.  (Applying colouring is optional but it helps me to differentiate between cuts or layers when I am layering my designs to create my project.)

 Then I determined the approximate size my word should be.  This is purely personal preference, but mine sits about 1.5" tall.  At this point I rotated my card base, it just helps me visualize better, and is optional.

 Now, I know that my base is 4.25" x 5.5", and I know I want this 'Jingle" layer to be 1/4" smaller both vertically and horizontally, so given that my letters are 1.5" tall and I want this layer to be 4" tall and 5.25" wide, I created a rectangle that is 5" wide and just a smidgen over 3" tall.  I need this layer to slightly overlap the text for the next step.

 Now using the section tool (shown circled on this image) select both the word and the newly created rectangle, by clicking and dragging a selection box around them.  Now right click and select weld.  This will join the two pieces together creating one piece you can die cut.

 This newly created text / rectangle layer should measure 4" tall and 5.25" wide, but if not you can tweak it using the scale tab,

 Next i turned my layers back the way that I will be using them.  And created a new rectangle that measures 2.63" x 5", this is about 1/4" smaller that the rectangle that is welded to my text.  This piece is represented by the patterned paper on my card.

Now I really could be done here.  I could stop and cut our my pieces, add my colored image, or a cluster of embellishments instead of a coloured image and call it a day.  But I wanted to take it one step further.


 I decided I wanted to add the 'all the way!" text with a sketch pen, to finish off my sentiment.  So I moved the rest of my card pieces off the 'mat' and got to work.  (Side note - did you know when you are cutting anything that is in the margin or off the 'mat' is not cut.  I like to use the margins as my working space.)  Anyway, I digress, I typed out "all the way" hitting return after each word as I wanted them stacked on my card.



 Then I selected the text, and clicked on the Text Style window, by clicking on the large 'A' at the top of your screen, shown circled on my image above. Here I chose the font I wanted (knowing I will be using the sketch pen to add this to my card, I wanted a thin font. 

 Also, within the text style window I aligned the text to the right.  Then I went to the colour fill window and changed the text to black.  This does nothing as far as using the pen is concerned, the colour of the pen determines the colour that will be written on your project.  It simply helps me to see my text better.

 Now pulling my card pieces back onto my 'mat' I lined up and sized my newly created text.  Then I sized it, just using my eye to make sure it looks good visually.

 Now that I decided to add the sketch pen text to my card base, I decided to also cut my card base using the Silhouette.  So I created a new base measuring 4.25" x 11", and layered my newly created text on it, to ensure it is 'written' in the right spot.

Now I need to remove the blade and insert a sketch pen in my Silhouette machine.  I also need to move the card base to the sidebar of my software or else the outline of it will also been drawn with the sketch pen.  Now I can select cut and change the setting to sketch pen.  Do not remove the mat from the machine yet.

Click undo, so that the rectangle go back exactly where it was aligned previously.  And then move the text off to the side bar.  Change the pen back to the blade and click cut and change the settings to blade and the appropriate type of paper, in my case it is cardstock.

Now my base is created, and I can cut out my 'Jingle' piece and the other rectangle piece and adhere them together to create my card.

If you haven't tried this with your machine, you really should.  It gives you a great finished project and it is not at all difficult.

If you do not have a Silhouette but are contemplating one, you can download the software free here and play around with it a bit,  it will definitely help you make up your mind to invest in one!

Thanks for visiting!  and please let me know if there are any other Silhouette tutorials you would like to see.
Laura
xoxo

2 comments:

  1. So cute! Thanks for sharing all the steps ... I'm definitely going to try to make some custom cards like this! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! From the papers and colors to the wonderful ways you used your Silhouette to design (I do the same with colors and elements I might not be cutting but want to "see" on the project) I really think this is a great project and post! Thanks so much for all you've shared!

    ReplyDelete