Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Jayne's Embossing Tutorial

Hi there, Jayne here with some tips for using one of those hoarded scrappy supplies......Embossing Powder!

Now I'm not suggesting you may hoard supplies like myself (whoever heard of a scrapbooker hoarding supplies!) but back in the day when I was a manic cardmaker, I had lots of Embossing Powder.  It was considered a staple for all those sentiments but has recently slipped out of fashion a little, along side the fact that I make very few cards these days!

So, what to do with all those powders?

I would consider myself more of a scrapbooker these days so I figured 'why not use them on pages instead'?

I'm sure there are loads of different ways you can use them, but I'm going to share a few of my faves.

1. Grab a bottle of wet glue and go crazy!  Preferably one of those with a dual nozzle (pen tip/broad tip) as you'll be able to get far more effects out of it.




I use the pen tip to draw freehand circles, doodles or anything really.....



....then work pretty quickly with your Embossing Powder so the glue doesn't dry out.

Here's an example of that:




I also use the broad tip freehand, however I please to create brush strokes.



 The trick is not to be too careful about it.  I find the more random the strokes with sections heavier in places, or missing glue in others, the better the overall effect.


You can see how that turned out here:







2. Dust off that chipboard.  This is another favourite hoard of mine but I'm finding I use it more than ever these days with a little grunged embossing.  This page shows chipboard chicken wire, a butterfly and the 'Together' title, all very roughly embossed.



You can see I prefer the effect if it's not perfectly covered (this is also a good excuse if you're the 'not so patient' scrapbooker!).



3. Use a stencil.  Dab your Embossing pad over a stencil, remove, apply the Embossing Powder then heat for a more textured background. I used a delicate pink powder together with a tiny circles stencil, for a slightly grunged feel on this page.



Just remember to wash your stencil immediately once you're finished.

Well I hope I've given you a few idea's to use up your stash.

Embossing Powders are actually one of my 'go to' staples these days when creating a page, so much so I had to run out and purchase more........imagine that!

Have a great day,
Jayne.x.

4 comments:

  1. I love how your circles came out...thanks for sharing how you do them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I haven't used mine in forever but will have to get them out! Thanks so much Jayne. Your pages are lovely and I too, love the circles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jayne!! Great ideas!! I love how all of them turned out. You have definitely inspired me to pull out the embossing powder again!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely!!! Did you heat the circles or just dry them? :)

    ReplyDelete